Western Victoria Primary Health Network in conjunction with Hospice Foundation Geelong is seeking applications from Geelong region general practitioners for the 2020 Dr Trevor Banks Scholarship for Palliative Care.
The annual scholarship awards up to $5,000 to help Geelong region GPs attend national or international educational events related to palliative care.
Eligible applications are being sought from GPs or GP trainees working in Geelong, the Bellarine Peninsula or Surf Coast, preferably with a long-term commitment to continuing their work in the region. Their current practice should include provision of care to people with palliative care needs. The maximum scholarship payment to any individual doctor is $10,000 during any 10-year period.
The scholarship is named in recognition of the oustanding contribution of Dr Trevor Banks OAM in establishing a formal palliative care service in Geelong during the 1970s. The scholarship was first awarded in 2017 following Dr Banks' retirement from the Hospice Foundation Geelong Board. Previous recipients include:
- Dr Deryn Watson
- Dr Fiona Ahlberg
- Dr Eimir Diviney
- Dr Jacqueline Ford
- Dr Nigel Lambert
- Dr Rachelle Smith
- Dr Caroline Murtagh
Possible eligible events to attend in 2020 include:
- Australian and New Zealand Society for Palliative Medicine Conference
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Annual assembly San Diego, USA. March 18-21, 2020
- UK Association for Palliative Medicine Conference . Telford, UK. 19-20 March 2020
- 11th World Research Congress of European Association of Palliative Care. Palermo, Italy. 14-16 May 2020
- International Congress on Palliative Care, Montreal, Canada , 13-16 October 2020
Or applicants can propose other events related to palliative care.
Applicaitons are being accepted until Monday, 30 September 2019. The winner will be announced at the 2019 Western Victoria PHN Palliative Care Forum in October.
Applications in writing (electronic or hard copy) should be sent to Hospice Foundation Geelong - email@example.com - and include:
- An up-to-date CV including qualifications and current practice location
- Details of previous Palliative Care experience and current practice in the field (e.g. approximate annual number of palliative care patients, availability for home visits to Palliative Care patients and Residential Aged Care Facilities, attendance at WVPHN events)
- Preferred educational event to attend (may be subject to change)
- Anticipated benefit for GP and patients as a result of attending educational event
- Anticipated expenses – Registration fees, travel costs, accommodation, meals, etc.
Download the application form
After attending the event, the recipient will be requested to provide:
- A brief summary of the event and major learning points for Hospice Foundation Geelong and Western Victoria PHN
- Attendance and brief presentation at Hospice Foundation Geelong Annual General Meeting
- Attendance and brief presentation at Western Victoria PHN Palliative Care Forum in October 2020
- Confirmation of expenses and receipts where available for accounting purposes