GEELONG - LGBTIQ Inclusivity (afternoon session) - Thursday 15 March
LGBTIQ Sensitivity and Cultural Safety
• Status of LGBTIQ health and wellbeing
• To individually analyse your own assumptions and values and reflect on their implications in your delivery of health care to LGBTIQ communities
• To understand the importance and use of respectful and appropriate language
• To identify and understand the unique vulnerabilities that LGBTIQ communities face
• To improve your confidence in comprehensively meeting the needs LGBTIQ consumers
• To improve best practice with intake and assessment
Trans and Gender Diverse Sensitivity and Cultural Safety
• Status of Trans and Gender Diverse health and wellbeing
• Understanding the importance and use of respectful and appropriate language
• Impact of discrimination on Trans and Gender Diverse people
• Legislative and legal requirements to respect and recognise gender identity
• Trans and gender diverse policy and practice recommendations
• Strategies to create cultural safety
Alcohol and Drug Use in LGBTIQ Communities
• The prevalence and context of use in LGBTIQ communities
• Unique risk factors and vulnerabilities
• Intake and assessment
• Building a strong therapeutic alliance with LGBTIQ communities
• Practice and policy recommendations
• Case studies of complex case presentations
Learning Outcomes (optional)
By the end of this session you will be able to:
• Describe the drug and alcohol use/issues for LGBTIQ people.
• Understand the importance and use of respectful and appropriate language.
• List LGBTIQ appropriate services for AoD issues.
• Improve the quality of AoD services provided to LGBTIQ people.
• Discuss how to treat and/or manage LGBTIQ consumers with alcohol and drug use issues.
Speaker: Jeremy Wiggins - Project Lead, The Victorian Aids Council
Open to: Aboriginal Health Workers, Psychologists, Social Workers.
This event is free for all clinicians in the region.
2 RACGP Category two points
This event is available in person or via Webinar
Level 2 Conference Room Western Victoria PHN 131 Myers Street Geelong
For further information contact Sylvia Melville or phone 5222 0800
|Event Date||3:00 pm, 15/03/2018|
|Event End Date||5:30 pm, 15/03/2018|
|Cut off date||1:10 pm, 13/03/2018|
|Location||Western Victoria Primary Health Network - Geelong|