My Health Record is an electronic summary of an individual’s health information that can be shared securely online between the individual and registered healthcare providers involved in their care to support improved decision making and continuity of care.
Information accessible through My Health Record:
- Shared health summary: A summary, authored by the treating doctor, of an individual’s health status including adverse reactions, medicines, medical history and immunizations
- Event summary: Captures key health information about a significant healthcare event that is relevant to the ongoing care of the patient.
- Hospital discharge summary
- Pathology and diagnostic imaging reports
- Specialist letters
- Prescriptions and dispense information
- Patient-entered personal health summaries
- Health notes entered by the patient
- Advanced care planning documents.
Currently, more than 20% of Australian's have a My Health Record and over 10,900 healthcare providers are connected to the My Health Record system.
In 2017 the Australian Government committed to expanding My Health Record by changing the participation model, from an opt-in to an opt-out model. This means every Australian will have a My Health Record created for them by the end of 2018, unless they choose not to. Individuals will be given the opportunity to opt out of their record's creation over a three month period.
Based on international experience, and the My Health Record Participation Trials in 2016 that tested a range of models including an 'opt-out' model, the expansion of My Health Record is expected to accelerate the realisation of benefits for both patients and healthcare providers.
Healthcare provider registration
Healthcare organisations need to register to participate in Australia’s My Health Record system. Once your organisation is registered, Individual healthcare providers can be authorised to access the My Health Record system on the organisation’s behalf through conformant software.
Click here to start the Registration Process
Healthcare providers without conformant Software can access My Health Record via the Provider Portal.
Click here to read the Provider Portal Registration Process and Fact Sheet
Training and resources
There is a range of training and resources available online to get you ready to use My Health Record:
Webinars: watch a series of webinars 1-5 for an overview of My Health Record.
Online training: work through a series of online modules.
On demand training: clinical software simulation.
There are also guides to using My Health Record with conformant software:
- Viewing a My Health Record
- Uploading a Shared Health Summary
- Uploading an Event Summary
- Guides and factsheets- downloadable checklists, step by step guides, cheat sheets and moreGuides and factsheets- downloadable checklists, step by step guides, cheat sheets and more.
Supporting your patients
Information is available to assist you when discussing My Health Record with your patients.