Primary Health Networks such as Western Victoria PHN (WVPHN) have a central role in delivering after hours primary health care through new and innovative initiatives and activities.
Definition of after hours
After hours primary health care is defined as accessible and effective primary health care for people whose health condition cannot wait for treatment until regular primary health care services are next available. It is not a substitute for primary health care that could otherwise occur ‘in hours’.
The after hours period is defined as:
- Outside 8am to 6pm on weekdays
- Outside 8am to 12 noon on Saturdays
- All day on Sundays and public holidays.
Urgent after hours care access
Throughout western Victoria, WVPHN supports coordination of urgent care in after hours periods through:
- An integrated streaming and information service involving the GP After Hours Helpline (Healthdirect Australia), Nurse on Call, Ambulance Victoria, local hospitals and GPs currently providing after hours services
- Access to taxi transport assistance to and from urgent after hours care in areas with limited after hours workforces and long distances from health services. The taxi assistance can transport patients to the most appropriate after hour urgent care provider.
Contact WVPHN’s After Hours Program team
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
WVPHN has developed a suite of promotional tools to inform residents and visitors to our region on accessing after hours health services.
These tools are available for download to use online, in social media or in waiting rooms.
After hours promotional toolkit
After Hours Animation Video
Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2019 - File size 3 MB
After Hours Facebook image
Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2019 - File size 478 KB
After Hours Twitter image (PNG file)
Published on Wednesday, 16 October 2019 - File size 28 KB
After Hours Web Banner
Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2019 - File size 488 KB