Western Victoria PHN is here to help primary health care practitioners deliver best possible palliative care support and services to patients with life-threatening illnesses and their families.
Supporting palliative care
Our role is to deliver training, programs and other resources to help practitioners maintain their knowledge and capabilities in palliative care support.
Palliative care is a form of health care provided to people who have a progressing illness that will lead to death. It is active and supportive care that seeks to maximise quality of life.
To achieve this, we work with local health providers to monitor issues and gaps in current services and identify means for improving a coordinated, multi-disciplinary approach to palliative care in our region.
- Facilitate palliative care special interest groups for GPs, palliative care specialists, nurses and allied health professionals
- Host an annual palliative forum for GPs, allied health providers and other interested practitioners
- Improve communication between practitioners and patients through digital and telehealth services
- Provide support in implementing Optimal Care Pathways (for patients living with cancer).
- Palliative Care Australia
- Palliative Care Victoria
- ELDAC: End of Life Direction for Aged Care
Palliative care services in western Victoria
- Barwon Health Palliative Care Services
- Geelong Palliative Care Group
- Anam Cara Geelong
- Anam Cara Colac
Great South Coast
- Voluntary Assisted Dying
- Medical Treatment Planning and Decision Act 2016
- End of Life Care
- Compassionate Communities Network