Important mental health programs designed to support people and families who are not part of the NDIS or public mental health services, are available under the Commonwealth Government’s National Psychosocial Support Measure (NPSM).
These programs are part of a suite of psychosocial support services available in western Victoria.
NPSM services are expected to be short term and provided for no longer than 12 months. They can include a mix of individual and group-based activities held on weekends or after hours. The services are integrated with existing treatment and support systems and are specific to the person and the times they need them.
Western Victoria NPSM service providers
Two psychosocial support programs are offered in western Victoria as part of the NPSM:
- Connecting2community – delivered by Ballarat Community Health and Grampians Community Health across the Ballarat Goldfields and Wimmera Grampians regions
- Well Connected – delivered by Wellways Australia across the Geelong Otway and Great South Coast regions.
Who is eligible for a NPSM program
To be eligible for psychosocial support, a client must:
- reside within the Western Victoria PHN (WVPHN) catchment and
- have a diagnosed severe mental illness with significant functional impairment and
- are primarily aged between 18 and 65 years and
- are not eligible for the NDIS because they do not have significant, permanent functional impairment/s associated with their mental health condition or
- are eligible for the NDIS but are waiting for an access decision and/or their NDIS plan to begin.
Clients not eligible are those who:
- are an NDIS participant and have an active NDIS plan or
- are clients of Personal Helpers and Mentors (PHaMs), Day to Day Living (D2DL) and Partners in Recovery (PIR) who are eligible for Continuity of Support or
- are registered clients of the public clinical mental health service system and able to access the Early Intervention Psychosocial Support Response or
- are receiving other similar services from another provider or program.
How to refer clients to a psychosocial support program
To refer a client, please:
- complete and send an electronic Referral Point Primary Mental Health Care referral via Best Practice, Medical Director or Zedmed. Guidelines on using electronic referral (e-referral forms) are available on our Psychological Therapy Services page.
If completing the Referral Point Primary Health Care Referral Form, please refer to the following supporting materials:
- Primary Mental Health Care Services Referral Form Infographic (PDF 430KB)
- Primary Mental Health Care Services Referral Form Guidance Document (PDF 322KB)
Service providers and individuals
To refer a client, please directly contact the relevant service supplier in your area:
- Ballarat Community Health or Grampians Community Health
- Tel: 1800 056 400
- Email: email@example.com
- Wellways Australia
- Tel: 03 4333 0251
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact WVPHN Mental Health Team: