Important mental health programs designed to support people and families who are not part of the NDIS or public mental health services, are available under the Commonwealth Government’s National Psychosocial Support Measure (NPSM).
These programs are part of a suite of psychosocial support services available in western Victoria.
NPSM services are expected to be short term and provided for no longer than 12 months. They can include a mix of individual and group-based activities. The services are integrated with existing treatment and support systems and are specific to the person and the times they need them.
Western Victoria NPSM service providers
Two psychosocial support programs are offered in western Victoria as part of the NPSM:
- Connecting2community – delivered by Ballarat Community Health and Grampians Community Health across the Ballarat Goldfields and Wimmera Grampians regions
- Well Connected – delivered by Wellways Australia across the Geelong Otway and Great South Coast regions.
Who is eligible for a NPSM program
To be eligible for psychosocial support, a client must:
- reside within the Western Victoria PHN (WVPHN) catchment and
- have a diagnosed severe mental illness with significant functional impairment and
- are primarily aged between 18 and 65 years and
- are not eligible for the NDIS because they do not have significant, permanent functional impairment/s associated with their mental health condition or
- are eligible for the NDIS but are waiting for an access decision and/or their NDIS plan to begin.
Clients not eligible are those who:
- are an NDIS participant and have an active NDIS plan or
- are clients of Personal Helpers and Mentors (PHaMs), Day to Day Living (D2DL) and Partners in Recovery (PIR) who are eligible for Continuity of Support or
- are registered clients of the public clinical mental health service system and able to access the Early Intervention Psychosocial Support Response or
- are receiving other similar services from another provider or program.
How to refer clients to a psychosocial support program
To refer a client, please directly contact the relevant service supplier in your area.
Please note: The transfer of referrals must have a minimum level of security in place to protect client privacy and confidentiality. Non-secured or non-password protected emails are not to be used for referrals into this program. Options for acceptable secure referral process can be found on the RACGP’s Secure communications in general practice – Product list
|Ballarat Community Health or Grampians Community Health||Wellways Australia|
Contact WVPHN Mental Health Team: