Many people who identify as lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual or other (LGBTQIA+) live in western Victoria. Most LGBTQIA+ people live happy and healthy lives. However, many face specific health challenges due to experiencing stigma, prejudice, discrimination and abuse.
Western Victoria PHN (WVPHN) is working with primary health providers to improve affirmative health care for people who identify as LGBTQIA+.
Community of practice group
WVPHN supports a community of practice group which is comprised of primary health professionals who care for people identifying as trans and gender diverse (TGD).
The group meets monthly and aims to:
- Increase the number of general practitioners in western Victoria who are better informed and confident in working with TGD patients
- Provide a forum for multi-disciplinary health professionals to communicate and collaborate
- Offer peer-to-peer support for participating professionals
- Generate communication and collaboration with community members, healthcare consumers and community support groups and services
- Deliver continuing professional development
- Opportunity to explore and develop new and/or enhanced services and/or access to support affirmative healthcare needs of people who identify as TGD.
LGBTQIA+ health care resources
- Australian Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Equinox – Gender Diverse Healthcare
- Rainbow Health Victoria
- National LGBTQI Health Alliance
- Rainbow eQuality – LGBTI inclusive practice guide for health and community services
Community services and support
- Transgender Victoria
- Rainbow Network
- The Victorian Pride Centre
- LGBTIQ Equality Rural and Regional Program
- Wellways – Out Together
Parental services and support
Ballarat Goldfields region services
Geelong Otway region services
Great South Coast region services
Wimmera Grampians region services
LGBTQIA+ aged and palliative care resources
- Tel: 03 5222 0800