Western Victoria PHN (WVPHN) is pleased to advise primary care clinicians in the Geelong Otway and Great South Coast area about the establishment of the new Barwon Health Addiction Medicine Specialist (AMS) Service for the Barwon South-West Pharmacotherapy Area Based Network (PABN).
The service model is focused on capacity building of GPs and other primary care clinicians throughout the region. The availability of an AMS service to support and develop GP skills in addiction medicine management is critical, particularly in rural and regional areas where access to specialist care is limited. The Barwon Health AMS service provides clients, through their GPs, access to specialist advice locally.
How to Access the AMS Service
The service can be accessed via standard referral letter to the Barwon Health Pharmacotherapy Clinic via Mental.HealthDAS@barwonhealth.org.au
*The referrer MUST consent to provide ongoing care for the patient, in collaboration with any linked AOD services.
Alternatively, the service can be referred into by calling Barwon Health Phone Triage on 1300 094 187.
- Primary consultation/written management plan
- Secondary consultation
- Mondays, 2pm – 7pm
- Thursdays, 2pm – 4pm
Patients suitable for referral:
- Must be linked with Community GP or Nurse Practitioner willing to provide ongoing care
- Must be experiencing opioid dependence
- Residing within PABN 1 Barwon and South Coast region (Geelong Otway and Great South Coast)
Patients NOT suitable for referral are those who are:
- A moderate or high risk of harm to themselves
- Acutely suicidal, homicidal or grossly intoxicated by alcohol or other drugs.
WVPHN provides pharmacotherapy support, education and information for primary care practitioners and pharmacists across the region. For more information on the AMS service, please contact the WVPHN Pharmacotherapy Team via email@example.com